Drugs epidemic threatens to engulf Limerick City Email Facebook Gardaí across Ireland take on viral dance challenge Man and woman arrested after Gardaí seize cash and suspected drugs worth more than €28,000 Previous articleLimerick man jailed for threatening to kill Garda detectiveNext articleIce cream vans used as cover for Limerick drug dealer Staff Reporterhttp://www.limerickpost.ie Youth arrested in connection with alleged assault on female Garda NewsLimerick drug dealers cutting heroin with cattle medicineBy Staff Reporter – November 4, 2016 3044 Linkedin HEROIN and cocaine sold by Limerick drug dealers is mixed with everything from talcum powder to cattle ringworm medicine.Forensic Science Ireland, based at Garda Headquarters, have confirmed the common belief that drug purity levels in Limerick can be less than 20 per cent with the other 80 per cent made up of a host of ingredients.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up Dublin purity levels are recorded at 28 per cent, which is well below the European average of 35-45 per cent.According to analysis of drugs seized by Gardaí, unscrupulous dealers are bulking or “cutting” cocaine with potent levels of levamisole which is used to kill parasitic worms in animals.Three out of every four cocaine seizures had levamisole present.Heroin found in Limerick had been cut to just 30 per cent but bulk seizures had purity levels of more than 40 per cent, indicating that local gangs are further cutting the drugs before distributing them on the streets.The State laboratory said that white sugars, caffeine, diazepam, paracetamol and creatine were also used in the drug mixes.Earlier this year, Kieran (40) and Brian Collopy (43) were jailed for eight years after they were found cutting, mixing and bagging €37,000 of heroin in mixing bowls and in the bath of a house in St Mary’s Park.The brothers were described as being at the “top end of the drugs pyramid”.Testing has shown that the drugs also contain benzocaine and lignocaine, which are local anaesthetics used in dentistry, as well as caffeine and phenacetin, a painkiller banned in a number of countries due to its cancer causing properties.There have been large quantities of Amphetamine seized in Limerick which have have had purity levels as low as 9.2 per cent. TAGScollopydrug dealersdrugsGardaheroinlimerick RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Advertisement Twitter Print WhatsApp Newcastle West Gardaí move Gardaí warn students of rental scams
Saint Mary’s Music Department will usher in the Christmas season this weekend with its 39th annual Madrigal dinner, a medieval-themed feast and musical performance. Junior Toni Marsteller, who scripted and directed the performance and is cast as the Wench, said the theatrics and music are interwoven in the meal rather than preceding or following it. “[The dinner features] Renaissance and medieval-style music, and there are actors who provide a little comedy throughout the dinner,” she said. Music professor Nancy Menk, who will direct the Madrigal for the 28th time, said the choir performances will include a combination of traditional songs with a few fresh selections. “Some songs are standards,” Menk said. “We always sing the Wassail Song when we bring out the Wassail bowl, we always sing ‘We Wish You a Merry Christmas,’ and each year I try to add one or two new songs.” First year Katie Corbett plays the role of the Jester, who taunts the other characters throughout the performance. “I’m an acting major, so I read for the Jester role, and it sounded really funny,” she said. “I’m really excited, but I’m also a little nervous. I hope everyone enjoys the show.” Corbett’s Jester conspires with junior Sophie Korson’s character, the Cook, to play tricks on the Wench. Korson, who has never participated in the Madrigal dinner before, said she decided to take part simply for the fun of it. “It sounded like fun, and I was open to trying it out,” she said. Sophomore Lauren Murphy, a member of the Women’s Choir performing at the dinner, said the performance helps spread the Christmas cheer around campus. “I like dressing up and getting into character,” she said. “The show really helps set the tone for the Christmas season.” Over her nearly three decades at the helm of the Madrigal, Wenk said the tradition has evolved significantly. “Before my time, they actually stopped the show and did an opera right in the middle of the show,” she said. “One of the major changes was to change from a co-ed to an all-women’s choir, about seven or eight years ago, to better represent Saint Mary’s College.” Menk said she is amazed by the transformative effect the show has on Regina Hall, where it is presented. “The girls look so beautiful in their dresses and the room looks amazing,” she said. “By the time we’re done with it, it’s amazing to think it’s just a dorm lounge.” The Madrigal dinner will be celebrated Friday and Saturday at 7 p.m. and Sunday at 2 p.m.