WPVI-TV(NEW YORK) — A woman died after a Southwest Airlines jet suffered engine failure and made an emergency landing on Tuesday, marking the first accidental fatality on a domestic flight in nine years, according to the National Transportation Safety Board.Flight 1380 was en route from New York City’s LaGuardia International Airport to Dallas Love Field when the plane was forced to land at Philadelphia International Airport Tuesday morning.Jennifer Riordan of New Mexico died after she was partially sucked out a window near the engine, according to witnesses. Officials did not immediately confirm that account.“Jennifer Riordan has passed away as a result of previously reported events on Southwest Airlines flight No. 1380,” her family said in a statement. “Jennifer’s vibrancy, passion and love infused our community and reached across our country. Her impact on everything and everyone she touched can never be fully measured.”“But foremost, she is the bedrock of our family. She and Mike wrote a love story unlike any other. Her beauty and love is evident through her children. We are so appreciative of the outpouring of support from family, friends and our community.”Riordan previously worked in marketing at the University of New Mexico’s Health Sciences Center.“Jennifer was an amazing community leader, team member, wife and mother,” Dr. Paul Roth, chancellor for Health Sciences Center, said in a statement. “Her passion for our community, our students and our future was unwavering. We are committed to carrying on her work to ensure quality education and career opportunities to New Mexico’s youth. Our thoughts and prayers remain with her family during this difficult time. She will be forever missed by her Lobo family.” Passenger Matt Tranchin said the flight took a turn when he saw a “huge explosion and glass shattering three rows ahead of me.”“Flight attendants rushed up,” he said. “There was momentary chaos. Everyone kind of descended on where this hole was. As passengers, we weren’t sure if they were trying to cover up the hole, but the plane smelled like smoke. There was ash coming through the ventilation system.”“We started dropping,” Tranchin told ABC station WPVI-TV in Philadelphia. “Some of the crew couldn’t hold back their horror. And some were crying as they looked out through the open window onto the engine.”Passengers posted photos from inside showing descended oxygen masks, a blown-out window and the remains of an engine.Jim Demetros, a passenger who said he was about three rows ahead of where the engine failed, told ABC News that everybody was looking at “the woman who was sitting next to the window that had blown out.”“It was a pretty harrowing experience,” he said, adding that the crew did a “fantastic” job “keeping everyone calm.” Another passenger, Cassie Adams, said she was sitting “right over the engine” and could see the damage immediately after it failed.A few minutes after the oxygen masks came down, the window two rows behind where Adams was sitting blew out, and the woman was “sucked out,” she told ABC News.“Two brave men immediately responded and helped grab her and tried to pull her back in,” Adams said.The men were able to pull her back in and performed CPR on her, Adams said. One of them then stood in front of the broken window so no one else would get hurt, she said, adding that she thought “the plane was going down.”“It was terrifying,” Adams said. “Those men are heroes.”Another passenger, a woman from Albuquerque, New Mexico, also confirmed that a female passenger was “partially sucked out of the window.”“I talked to the guy who pulled her back in, and he said that her head, when she flew out the window, hit the window and she died on impact,” the woman told ABC affiliate KOAT-TV. “And then there was a nurse who helped to pull her back in, but before we knew what was really going on, you could feel the plane instantly dropping.”Seven people suffered minor injuries and weren’t taken to hospitals, officials said. The NTSB said 144 passengers and five crew members were on board.Southwest Airlines Chief Executive Officer Gary Kelly expressed gratitude that no one else was seriously injured, but described the passenger’s death as a “tragic loss.”“This is a sad day, and our hearts go out to the family and loved ones of the deceased customer,” Kelly said during a press conference Tuesday afternoon.Kelly said he was not aware of any issues with the Boeing 737, which was last inspected on Sunday. No issues with the plane or engine were reported at that time, he said, calling the Boeing 737 the “workhorse of the airline industry.”The engine that failed had gone through 40,000 cycles, Kelly said, adding that it had been 10,000 cycles since it was last overhauled. Engines are typically overhauled after 30,000 cycles, Kelly said.The accident appears to be the first of its kind for the company, Kelly said. “To my knowledge, it’s the first time we have lost a window.”Kelly commended the crew and described the flight’s captain as “very experienced,” adding that he started at the company in 1994 and has been a captain for “well over a decade.”“They did their jobs superbly today,” Kelly added.NTSB Chairman Robert Sumwalt described the emergency as engine failure. The crew reported damage to the main body of the plane, an engine and a window, the Federal Aviation Administration said.Kelly said in a statement that the victim’s family are the company’s “immediate and primary concern, and we will do all that we can to support them during this difficult time and the difficult days ahead.”“I’m immensely grateful there are no other reports of injuries, but truly this is a tragic loss,” Kelly said. “Please join us in offering thoughts and prayers and support to all of those affected by today’s tragedy.”In a statement, Boeing expressed its “deepest condolences” to the victim’s family.The runway was closed for more than two hours before reopening.The NTSB and the FAA still are investigating, and Boeing said it is providing technical help to the investigation, with which Southwest is cooperating.The NTSB has asked witnesses with videos or images to contact the agency directly via email.The last accidental domestic airline fatality was in 2009, when Colgan 3407 crashed near Buffalo, New York, killing all 49 on board and a person on the groundCopyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.
Goals from Charlie Austin and the recalled Junior Hoilett put QPR in command at Loftus Road.Rangers went in front when Andy Johnson beat Tommy Elphick on the left and his cross was completely misjudged by Simon Francis, enabling Austin to fire home his 10th goal of the season.Hoilett, back in the team following a hamstring problem, added the second nine minutes after the break.Austin was unable to connect with Danny Simpson’s right-wing cross and the ball ran to the Canadian winger, who held off Francis to score.That eased the tension after a controversial first half which left the home fans incensed.Their team’s 27th-minute opener should have been followed by a Rangers penalty and arguably a red card for Elphick, who was at least a yard inside the area when he scooped the ball away with his hand as Austin went past him.Inexplicably, a free-kick was awarded and Elphick escaped without even a booking despite the incident occurring in line with the assistant referee, who was twice consulted by match official Andy Woolmer before a final decision was made.Keen for Rangers to bounce back from Saturday’s surprise defeat at Doncaster, boss Harry Redknapp made major changes.Redknapp switched to a 4-4-2 formation, with Johnson up front and Tom Carroll in the starting line-up along with Hoilett following the on-loan Tottenham midfielder’s recovery from an ankle injury.Niko Kranjcar, Matt Phillips and Jermaine Jenas, all ineffective at Doncaster, were dropped to the bench.Once they got into their stride after a lacklustre start, Rangers’ new-look side began to dominate.And Hoilett’s goal left them within sight of another home win.QPR (4-4-2): Green; Simpson, Dunne, Hill, Assou-Ekotto; Carroll, Barton, O’Neil, Hoilett, Johnson, Austin.Subs: Murphy; Traore, Phillips, Jenas, Kranjcar, Henry, Young.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 Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebook
zoom UK ferry operator Wightlink has revealed that the steel cutting ceremony for its new ship took place at the Cemre shipyard in Yalova, Turkey, on October 4, 2016.To be deployed on the Fishbourne-Portsmouth route, the new ferry is expected to come into service in summer 2018, according to Wightlink.The ship is part of Wightlink’s GBP 45 million (USD 55.6 million) Investing for the Future program and will be able to carry more than 1,000 passengers and up to 178 cars, the ferry operator said.The ferry will use diesel electric hybrid batteries (with marine gas oil) for propulsion and waste heat from the generator engines for heating. The eco-efficient lifts will put power back into the ship’s electrical supply harnessing excess energy generated by the elevators. Together with motion-activated LED lighting, these initiatives are said to lead to a significant reduction in the ferry’s carbon footprint.The project also includes new two tier boarding ramps at Fishbourne and Portsmouth Gunwharf to enable more efficient loading and unloading at both terminals.Wightlink’s vessels operate on the three routes connecting the Isle of Wight and the mainland, including Lymington-Yarmouth, Portsmouth-Fishbourne and Portsmouth-Ryde.
Related Items:beautiful by nature, edwin astwood, pollution, shadow minister of health Recommended for you Grand Turk, 16 Oct 2014 – Our islands are uniquely beautiful by nature. Therefore, the onus is on us to preserve it for future generations. Consider this: the average household produces one to two 19 gallon bags of rubbish in one week. Now consider the amount of rubbish that is produced on your street…then your district…then your island…then our country. Imagine most of that rubbish being scattered about your island. You may live on an island that has a schedule for garbage collection; where residents keep their properties and their surroundings tidy; and there are no uncaring persons polluting the environment with garbage and refuse. Then you can claim our slogan, “Beautiful by nature.”As Shadow Minister for Health and the elected member for Grand Turk South and Salt Cay, I am hereby appealing to the residents on our islands to join me in my campaign to keep our islands clean. We can quantify the advantages of a clean community. The benefits run the gamut from an economic stand point to a healthy environment.We rely on tourists who come to our shores. Do we want them to take one look and decide never to return? We can play our part by practicing healthy, cleanly habits. Let us adopt these two slogans and make them our mantras:Put it in the can, man;Keep our islands clean, green and pristine.Litterers and dumpers are not welcomed in our beautiful by nature islands. Each resident can make a difference by adhering to practices that enhance our beauty rather than detract from it. We may not see road signs that warn of fines for littering, but that should not deter us from becoming civic minded, nonetheless.“Out of all those hundreds and hundreds of islands lying in the seas and oceans of the earth, the Turks & Caicos are our islands. Grand Turk is my little one, so we just got to be aware of them and take care of them.” This is my personal creed.I implore those among us who do not care about our islands and the environment to desist from destroying their beauty. We must all do our part, especially the Government, who I see as turning a blind eye to this situation of pollution within our islands.On any given Cruise ship day on Grand Turk there are thousands persons on the streets, moving around, sightseeing, taking pictures, and visiting places of interest. What are they seeing and photographing? Should they see the garbage accumulating on a vacant lot opposite the old police station, near the Museum? Is this the image that the Minister of Tourism wishes to sell as the lasting image of Grand Turk? Is this what the Minister of Environment considers to be “Beautiful by Nature”? Is this how the Minister of Government Support Services lend support to the environment? And is this what the Minister of Health considers to be promoting a healthy life style? Does this Government really care about any of this? From my observations, it does not look so. I, along with other private citizens and groups, have been assisting in cleaning our island. However, we need the Government to do its part. My advice to the Government:Provide adequate resources to the departments responsible for garbage collection and cleaning; Promote caring for the environment;Enforce laws for protecting our “Beautiful by Nature Country”, please.End.Hon Edwin AstwoodShadow Minister of HealthMP for Grand Turk South and Salt Cay School fire reveals serious cracks in emergency response in Grand Turk Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Salt Cay being ignored, Member & Native demand better Change is on the horizon says PDM Leader Sharlene Cartwright Robinson Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp
Posted: May 22, 2018 Categories: Local San Diego News FacebookTwitter May 22, 2018 00:00 00:00 spaceplay / pause qunload | stop ffullscreenshift + ←→slower / faster ↑↓volume mmute ←→seek . seek to previous 12… 6 seek to 10%, 20% … 60% XColor SettingsAaAaAaAaTextBackgroundOpacity SettingsTextOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundSemi-TransparentOpaqueTransparentFont SettingsSize||TypeSerif MonospaceSerifSans Serif MonospaceSans SerifCasualCursiveSmallCapsResetSave SettingsPoway Mayor Steve Vaus spoke to Lauren Phinney and Carlos Amezcua about the Poway Hotline, a 24/7 hotline that people can call to report anonymous tips or potential threats to local schools.Any messages left with the hotline are sent to various police and sheriff’s stations for follow up and investigation.Hotline Number: 844-787-3847 Lauren Phinney, Carlos Amezcua Poway Hotline created to help keep students safe Lauren Phinney, Carlos Amezcua,