Still no word of cyber-dissident Al Mansouri five months after his arrest

first_img LibyaMiddle East – North Africa News to go further Follow the news on Libya Organisation News December 17, 2019 Find out more May 12, 2005 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Still no word of cyber-dissident Al Mansouri five months after his arrest LibyaMiddle East – North Africa Help by sharing this information Receive email alerts News News Reporters Without Borders today urged foreign embassies in Tripoli to ask the Libyan authorities what has happened to bookseller and cyber-dissident Abdel Razak Al Mansouri, who has disappeared without trace since his arrest on 12 January, apparently for making fun of a speech by President Muammar Gaddafi in an article he sent the day before to a foreign website. His family has received no news of him since then. February 23, 2021 Find out more RSF_en On Libyan revolution’s 10th anniversary, authorities urged to guarantee press freedom June 24, 2020 Find out more Well-known Libyan journalist missing since his arrest Six imprisoned journalists to finally appear in court in Istanbul Reporters Without Borders today urged foreign embassies in Tripoli to ask the Libyan authorities what has happened to bookseller and cyber-dissident Abdel Razak Al Mansouri, who has disappeared without trace since his arrest on 12 January, apparently for making fun of a speech by President Muammar Gaddafi in an article he sent the day before to a foreign website. His family has received no news of him since then.”Although carried out by the police, the arrest seems more like a kidnapping,” the press freedom organization said. “Abdel Razak Al Mansouri’s family has not been informed of the charges against him or where he is being held, so we call on foreign diplomats based in Tripoli to ask the Libyan government for the official reason for his arrest and his place of detention.”Al Mansouri’s last article, dated 11 January and posted on the London-based dissident website www.akhbar-libya.com, mocked a speech made a few days before by President Gaddafi in which he said he “accepted different opinions.”Two messages were posted in late April and early May on the Akhbar Libya site by persons claiming to be Al Mansouri’s sisters, Noria and Faiza, in which they said they were “proud” of their brother and called on other Libyan Internet users to follow his example by posting messages on the Web in their own name.Aged 52, Al Mansouri is believed to have been arrested in the eastern city of Tobruk on the evening of 12 January. It is believed the security services transferred him to a prison in Tripoli two days later. Only Akhbar Libya has reported his arrest, which has never been confirmed by the authorities.Al Mansouri began writing articles for Akhbar Libya last year, discussing social issues and human rights violations by the Libyan authorities.Libya is ranked 154th in the Reporters Without Borders classification of 167 countries according to their respect for press freedom. last_img read more

Read more on Still no word of cyber-dissident Al Mansouri five months after his arrest

Foreclosure Inventory, Delinquencies See Declines in September

first_img Demand Propels Home Prices Upward 2 days ago Home / Daily Dose / Foreclosure Inventory, Delinquencies See Declines in September Servicers Navigate the Post-Pandemic World 2 days ago Related Articles Previous: DS News Webcast: Friday 10/24/2014 Next: Index Points to Moderate Economic Growth For Remainder of 2014 Brian Honea’s writing and editing career spans nearly two decades across many forms of media. He served as sports editor for two suburban newspaper chains in the DFW area and has freelanced for such publications as the Yahoo! Contributor Network, Dallas Home Improvement magazine, and the Dallas Morning News. He has written four non-fiction sports books, the latest of which, The Life of Coach Chuck Curtis, was published by the TCU Press in December 2014. A lifelong Texan, Brian received his master’s degree from Amberton University in Garland.  Print This Post in Daily Dose, Featured, Foreclosure, News Tagged with: Black Knight Financial Services Delinquent Mortgages Foreclosure Inventory Foreclosures Non-Current Mortgage Loans Seriously Delinquent Mortgages Servicers Navigate the Post-Pandemic World 2 days ago About Author: Brian Honea Data Provider Black Knight to Acquire Top of Mind 2 days ago Foreclosure Inventory, Delinquencies See Declines in September Demand Propels Home Prices Upward 2 days ago Subscribe Share Save Data Provider Black Knight to Acquire Top of Mind 2 days ago The Week Ahead: Nearing the Forbearance Exit 2 days ago Governmental Measures Target Expanded Access to Affordable Housing 2 days ago Black Knight Financial Services Delinquent Mortgages Foreclosure Inventory Foreclosures Non-Current Mortgage Loans Seriously Delinquent Mortgages 2014-10-24 Brian Honea October 24, 2014 1,031 Views The Best Markets For Residential Property Investors 2 days ago Governmental Measures Target Expanded Access to Affordable Housing 2 days ago In September, foreclosure inventory in the U.S. fell to its lowest level in more than six years while delinquencies also significantly declined, according to Black Knight Financial Services’ “First Look” at September Mortgage Data released on Friday.The percentage of current residential mortgage loans in some state of foreclosure fell to 1.76 percent, its lowest level since February 2008, according to Black Knight. The overall number of mortgage loans in the foreclosure process totaled about 893,000 for September, a decline of 33 percent from the same month a year ago when about 1.33 million mortgage loans were in foreclosure.Month-over-month, foreclosure inventory dropped by 20,000, a 2.2. percent decrease, according to Black Knight.Residential mortgage loans that were delinquent, or “non-current” (30 days or more overdue but not in foreclosure), totaled about 2.9 million in September, Black Knight reported. This number represented a decline of 3.9 percent (about 117,000 loans), nearly erasing the increase delinquent loans experienced in August. The number of delinquent loans is down 12.2 percent since September 2013.The top five states for highest non-current mortgage loan percentage were Mississippi (14.4 percent), New Jersey (12.2 percent), Louisiana (11.2 percent), New York (10.7 percent), and Florida (10.6 percent), according to Black Knight. The five states with the lowest non-current mortgage loan percentage were North Dakota (2.4 percent), South Dakota (3.6 percent), Colorado (3.7 percent), Montana (3.9 percent), and Minnesota (4.0 percent).The number of mortgage loans that were 30 days or more overdue on payments or in foreclosure also took a dive in September, according to Black Knight. The number was reported at about 3.8 million for the month, a decline of 137,000 from August and 822,000 from September 2013.The total number of seriously delinquent loans (90 or more days overdue) fell by about 25,000 from August to September down to 1.1 million, the lowest total since August 2008, according to Black Knight. In September 2013, about 1.33 million residential mortgage loans were seriously delinquent. The top five states for highest seriously delinquent rates were Mississippi (5.3 percent), Alabama (3.6 percent), Rhode Island (3.53 percent), Louisiana (3.52 percent), and Massachusetts (3.3 percent), Black Knight reported.Foreclosure starts increased by 11.5 percent in September, up to 91,000, Black Knight reported. However, there was a decline in foreclosure starts year-over-year of 16.5 percent. The Best Markets For Residential Property Investors 2 days ago Sign up for DS News Daily last_img read more

Read more on Foreclosure Inventory, Delinquencies See Declines in September

“How is This Permissible?”: Gujarat High Court Expresses Shock Over Report That Over 5,000 Schools Functioning Without Fire Safety NOC

first_imgNews Updates”How is This Permissible?”: Gujarat High Court Expresses Shock Over Report That Over 5,000 Schools Functioning Without Fire Safety NOC Akshita Saxena4 March 2021 9:10 AMShare This – xThe Gujarat High Court has expressed shock at the functioning of over 5,000 schools in the State without a valid and subsisting No Objection Certificate with regard to the Fire Prevention and Protection Systems. A Division Bench comprising of Justices JB Pardiwala and Ilesh J. Vora sternly remarked, “How is this permissible? How can one play with the innocent lives of the…Your free access to Live Law has expiredTo read the article, get a premium account.Your Subscription Supports Independent JournalismSubscription starts from ₹ 599+GST (For 6 Months)View PlansPremium account gives you:Unlimited access to Live Law Archives, Weekly/Monthly Digest, Exclusive Notifications, Comments.Reading experience of Ad Free Version, Petition Copies, Judgement/Order Copies.Subscribe NowAlready a subscriber?LoginThe Gujarat High Court has expressed shock at the functioning of over 5,000 schools in the State without a valid and subsisting No Objection Certificate with regard to the Fire Prevention and Protection Systems. A Division Bench comprising of Justices JB Pardiwala and Ilesh J. Vora sternly remarked, “How is this permissible? How can one play with the innocent lives of the students studying in such schools? If no steps are taken in this direction at the earliest, then this Court may be compelled to ask the State Government to cancel the recognition of such schools.” The observation was made in a PIL filed by Advocate Amit Manilal Panchal seeking proper implementation of fire safety norms across all public accessible buildings in the State, in wake of the Shrey Hospital fire incident in Ahmedabad in August 2020, that took eight lives. Earlier, the High Court had sought response form the Ahmedabad Municipal Corporation with respect to hospitals, schools, etc. that are operating without NOCs. Fire Safety at Schools During the hearing held on February 26, the Division Bench was taken aback to note that 5199 schools lack fire safety measures. It noted that fire safety in schools is often a neglected element in India as there are no rules for checking this aspect and even the Government does not enforce the existing norms. The Court has now asked the Gujarat Government to consider framing fire safety regulations in suit with the Haryana Government, which has notified a State Policy on the “Safety Measures in Government and Private Aided & Un-aided Schools” under which all Government and Private Aided & Un-aided Schools situated in Haryana are required to put in place prescribed minimum safety standards, in addition to those enshrined in the National Building Code of India, 2005. The Division Bench observed that fire safety is an extremely important issue and Schools must step up and take the responsibility to ensure that all possible safety precautions are maintained. It explained that in schools, a large number of children are gathered at one place and a single fire can affect all of them. it further noted that features like wooden furniture, canteens and chemistry labs also make schools prone and fire in such places can often go out of control. Inter alia, the Court clarified that schools are entirely responsible for safety of children and they cannot expect the government to install any fire safety provisions. It has issued following directions: Every school must take the necessary precautions in order to prevent anything untoward from happening in the case of an emergency, like a fire. Every floor must have a fire extinguisher or at the very least sand banks must be set in place. Teachers and non-teaching staff such as peons and other helpers must be instructed in the use of fire extinguishers. Schools must have a particular method set in place for emergency evacuation of students and drills must be conducted on a frequent basis. Schools must be in contact with emergency services like the fire and rescue department and ensure that they respond as soon as possible in case of an emergency. Fire alarms must be placed at strategic points and they must be checked regularly. Fire Safety at Hospitals The Court, while dealing with implementation of fire safety norms in hospitals at Ahmedabad, also issued notices to eight other Municipal Corporations in the State including those of Vadodara, Surat, Gandhinagar, etc. All these authorities have been asked to file details of hospitals and other high-rise buildings that are operating without fire safety NOC. During the hearing, the Bench also impressed upon the State Government to adopt the Clinical Establishments Act, 2010, with a view to provide the minimum standards of medical facilities and services to the people at large. The Act prescribes basic minimum standards for different categories of clinical establishments for ensuring provision of proper health-care by the clinical establishments. Its purpose is to make available a database of Clinical Establishments which are authorized to function. While asking the Government to make an appropriate statement (by the next date of hearing) as regards adopting the Act, the Bench said, “Since decades, the unorganized health sector has created major hurdles in the availability, accessibility and affordability of health-care to the common people. This Act would prove handy, as this would ensure the minimum standards to all the establishments providing health-care services. The mandatory registration of all types of health-care provisions will reduce quackery. There will be standardization of infrastructure, man power and working systems.” The Court added that the private health-care providers, who deliver the bulk of the health-care, may create hindrances in the way of the State Government in the implementation of the Act. however, the push back, if any, should not deter the State Government in implementing and adopting the Act at the earliest in the larger interest of the people. The matter is now fixed for April 16. Case Title: Amit Manilal Panchal v. State of Gujarat Click Here To Download Order Read OrderNext Storylast_img read more

Read more on “How is This Permissible?”: Gujarat High Court Expresses Shock Over Report That Over 5,000 Schools Functioning Without Fire Safety NOC

Program provides permanent housing for homeless vets

first_imgHousing Authority of the City of Gary Indiana Partnering VA Medical Facility Chicago HCS Public Housing Agency Cincinnati 5 Indiana Housing and Community Development Authority $34,755 Washington D.C. — To help end veteran homelessness, the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) and the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) today awarded $239,745 to provide a permanent home to an estimated 46 veterans experiencing homelessness in Indiana.  The rental assistance announced today is provided through the HUD-Veterans Affairs Supportive Housing (HUD-VASH) Program, which combines rental assistance from HUD with case management and clinical services provided by VA.HUD-VASH reduces veteran homelessness because it provides funding for both the housing and supportive services that are essential for ending homelessness for veterans, many of whom are living in unsheltered locations. These vouchers are critical tools in helping communities effectively end homelessness among veterans.“We have few responsibilities greater than making sure those who have sacrificed so much in service to their country have a home they can call their own,” said HUD Secretary Carson. “The housing vouchers awarded today ensure homeless veterans nationwide have access to affordable housing and the critical support services from the VA.”   “The brave men and women who have served in our armed forces and their families have made incredible sacrifices to protect our freedoms. We must uphold our obligation to support those who have answered the call of duty,” said HUD Midwest Regional Administrator Joseph P. Galvan. “While, we have made great strides in reducing veteran homelessness in half nationally since 2010 and by almost 20% in Indiana, these housing vouchers will help continue this trend by providing safe and affordable housing in conjunction with vital wrap-around services from the VA. We are proud to support those who have served.”Since 2008, more than 93,000 vouchers have been awarded and approximately 150,000 homeless veterans have been served through the HUD-VASH program. More than 600 PHAs administer the HUD-VASH program, and this most recent award includes 22 additional PHAs, increasing HUD-VASH coverage to many communities. Rental assistance and supportive services provided through HUD-VASH are a critical resource for local communities in ending homelessness among our nation’s veterans.In the HUD-VASH program, VA Medical Centers (VAMCs) assess veterans experiencing homelessness before referring them to local housing agencies for these vouchers. Decisions are based on a variety of factors, most importantly the duration of homelessness and the need for longer term, more intensive support in obtaining and maintaining permanent housing. The HUD-VASH program includes both the rental assistance the voucher provides and the comprehensive case management that VAMC staff offers.Veterans participating in the HUD-VASH program rent privately owned housing and generally contribute no more than 30 percent of their income toward rent. VA offers eligible homeless veterans clinical and supportive services through its medical centers across the U.S., Guam, Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands. Amount Indianapolis Housing Agency Indianapolis 5 Indianapoliscenter_img HUD-VASH AWARDS $52,506 21 $24,487 5 Housing Authority of the City of Lafayette 10 Number of Vouchers $25,150 Indianapolis $102,846 Indiana Housing and Community Development Authoritylast_img read more

Read more on Program provides permanent housing for homeless vets

Diego Maradona Dismisses Alzheimer’s Rumours

first_imgBuenos Aires: Argentina football great Diego Maradona has posted a video on the social media denying reports that he was suffering from Alzheimer’s disease. The 58-year-old’s comments came a day after his lawyer, Matias Morla also responded to speculation that his client was suffering from the degenerative illness.“They lie, they lie. They talk about Alzheimer’s and they don’t even know what the word Alzheimer’s means,” Maradona said in the video published on his Instagram account on Thursday, reported Xinhua news agency.“People who have Alzheimer’s die, I’m not dying,” the 1986 World Cup winner said, adding that some journalists were intent on “causing confusion”.Maradona, who this month ended an 11-month spell as head coach of Mexican second division side Dorados, has suffered a series of health issues since ending his playing career in 1997.In 2004, he was hospitalised with severe heart and respiratory problems related to a long battle with drug addiction. He also underwent two gastric bypass operations to control his weight and received treatment for alcohol abuse.In January, the former Boca Juniors, Barcelona and Napoli forward had surgery to stem bleeding in his stomach. According to Argentine press reports, Maradona was set to undergo shoulder and knee operations in the coming weeks. IANSAlso Read: Diego Maradona To Undergo Shoulder Surgerylast_img read more

Read more on Diego Maradona Dismisses Alzheimer’s Rumours