Journalist arrested after interviewing Siberian autonomy advocate

first_imgNews Receive email alerts RSF_en Follow the news on Russia Authorities say he must do jail time for insulting a governor in blog posts in 2011 News Russian media boss drops the pretence and defends Belarus crackdown May 21, 2021 Find out more RussiaEurope – Central Asia June 2, 2021 Find out more RussiaEurope – Central Asia Organisation center_img Help by sharing this information News Читать по-русски в PDF и ниже / Read in RussianReporters Without Borders condemns Siberian journalist and blogger Dmitry Shipilov (Дмитрий Шипилов)’s detention since 10 September, when he was arrested near Moscow just hours after a newspaper published an interview by him with a champion of Siberian autonomy.Officially, Shipilov was arrested to serve a jail sentence in a case dating back to 2012, but everything suggests that his detention was politically motivated and was prompted by the interview.Shipilov covers the Siberian region of Kemerovo for the Novy Kuzbass newspaper and is known for criticizing the local authorities. He was arrested as he got off a train at Chkalovskaya station just outside Moscow.After saying nothing for 24 hours, the authorities said Shipilov was arrested for failing to serve a three-month jail sentence for “insulting a government servant in the course of his work.” The initial sentence, passed in April 2012, was 11 months retention of salary but a judge in Yurga, in the Kemerova region, changed it to jail time in February 2013 after discovering that Shipilov had left Kemerova before the sentence could be enforced.Shipilov’s colleagues point out that his arrest came immediately after Novy Kuzbass published his interview with Artyom Loskutov, an artist and leader of a planned “March for Siberia’s federalization” last month. By “federalization,” the march’s organizers meant regional autonomy and more local control of Siberia’s petroleum earnings. The use of the term alludes ironically to Moscow’s call for Ukraine’s “federalization.”The authorities not only prevented the march from going ahead but have also been suppressing all references to it in the media and online. On the basis of recent legislative amendments criminalizing “promoting unauthorized demonstrations” in the same way that “extremism” already is, around 20 news websites received orders in July to delete any mention of the march.At the same time, access to other websites and certain pages on Facebook and the Russian social network Vkontakte have been blocked. Curiously, it was officers from the police department responsible for combatting extremism that arrested Shipilov.“Jailing a journalist for ‘insulting a government servant’ constitutes an unacceptable act of intimidation towards the entire media profession,” said Johann Bihr, the head of the Reporters Without Borders Eastern Europe and Central Asia desk.“Russia is party to the European Court of Human Rights, which has said that any punishment for a media offence must be strictly ‘necessary’ and ‘proportionate’ and that public officials must be more tolerant of criticism than ordinary citizens. The flouting of these principles reinforces the impression that Shipilov is the victim of government hysteria about the ‘March for Siberia’s federalization’.”The “government servant” Shipilov was deemed to have insulted under article 319 of the Russian criminal code in two blog posts in 2011 was Kemerovo governor Aman Tuleyev. It was because he feared further reprisals, including trumped-up charges, that Shipilov moved from Kemerovo to Moscow two years ago. He is now due to be transferred back to the Kemerovo region to serve the jail sentence.Eduard Rudyk, a human rights defender who has visited Shipilov in detention, fears that Shipilov could end up being held for more than three months. The governor filed an additional complaint accusing him of “apologizing” ironically after his conviction, using the same insulting terms. After serving the current sentence, he could be placed in pre-trial detention pending a ruling on the second complaint.Russia is ranked 148th out of 180 countries in the 2014 Reporters Without Borders press freedom index.———————————Российские власти продолжают репрессии против сибирского журналистаРепортеры без границ осуждают задержание сибирского журналиста и блогера Дмитрия Шипилова 10 сентября 2014 года в Московском регионе. Его арест, официально связанный с назначенным в 2012 году наказанием, указывает на то, что это решение политически мотивировано и вызвано недавними публикациями журналиста.Блогер и обозреватель газеты «Новый Кузбасс» из Кемеровского региона (западная Сибирь) Дмитрий Шипилов известен своей резкой критикой в адрес местных властей. Он был арестован 10 сентября 2014 года на станции Чкаловская в Московском регионе. После того, как о нем ничего не было известно почти сутки, правоохранительные органы объяснили, что журналист отказался отбывать наказание, назначенное ему в апреле 2012 года, за «оскорбление представителя власти при исполнении им своих должностных обязанностей»: одиннадцать месяцев исправительных работ с удержанием из заработной платы. В феврале 2013 года, cудья г. Юрги Кемеровской области заменил это наказание на три месяца лишения свободы.Однако близкие журналиста заявляют, что Дмитрий Шипилов был задержан сразу после публикации интервью с Артемом Лоскутовым, артистом и лидером «Марша за федерализацию Сибири», акцией, запущенной летом 2014 год, за которой пристально следят власти. Это движение возникло на фоне оказания официальной поддержки российских властей «федерализации» Украины с целью требования большей автономии для Сибири и, в частности, более справедливого распределения средств от продажи нефти. Несмотря на то, что выступления движения были достаточно сдержанными и носили, в основном, юмористический характер, их сразу пресекли и расценили как преступление: на основании последних поправок, которые приравнивают «прызывы к участию в несогласованных акциях» к «экстремизму», более двадцати информационных сайтов в конце июля получили команду удалить материалы, посвященные движению. Ряд сайтов было заблокировано наряду с многочисленными страницами в социальных сетях Facebook и Вконтакте. Как не странно Дмитрия Шипилова задержали представители управления правоохранительных органов по борьбе с экстремизмом. «Наказание за ‘оскорбление представителя власти’ в виде лишения свободы – это недопустимое запугивание всей профессии журналистов», – заявил руководитель отдела Восточной Европы и Центральной Азии Репортеров без границ Йоханн Бир. «Россия является членом Европейского суда по правам человека, который настойчиво заявляет, что любое наказание за правонарушение в сфере прессы должно быть сугубо ‘оправданным’ и ‘пропорциональным’, а представители властей должны проявлять большую терпимость по отношению к критике со стороны простых граждан. Несоблюдение этих принципов лишний раз подтверждает то, что Дмитрий Шипилов стал жертвой истерических репрессий власти в отношении ‘Марша за федерализацию Сибири’».В апреле 2012 года журналист получил наказание за «оскорбление» губернатора Кемеровского региона Амана Тулеева в двух публикациях на своем блоге в 2011 году на основании статьи 319 уголовного кодекса РФ. Опасаясь других репрессий, как например возбуждение сфабрикованных дел по более серьезным статьям, обозреватель переехал из Кемерово в Москву. Теперь его переведут обратно в Кемеровскую область, где он будет отбывать наказание в тюрьме. Эдуард Рудык, посетивший его правозащитник, опасается, что задержанный проведет в тюрьме больше времени: губернатор подал еще одну жалобу на журналиста за иронические «извинения», принесенные после вынесения наказания. Его могут поместить в СИЗО до принятия решения по этому делу. Россия занимает 148-оe место из 180 стран во Всемирном рейтинге свободы прессы 2014 года Репортеров без границ. Listed as a “foreign agent”, Russia’s most popular independent website risks disappearing News Two Russian journalists persecuted for investigating police corruption May 5, 2021 Find out more September 17, 2014 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Journalist arrested after interviewing Siberian autonomy advocate to go further Related documents Российские власти продолжают репрессии против сибирского журналистаPDF – 195.52 KB last_img read more

Read more on Journalist arrested after interviewing Siberian autonomy advocate

Police arrest another gang member suspected in Jacques Roche murder

first_img News October 15, 2007 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Police arrest another gang member suspected in Jacques Roche murder News October 11, 2019 Find out more RSF_en News to go further Receive email alerts Violence against the press in Haiti: RSF and CPJ write to Minister of Justice Organisation Journalist shot dead amid anti-government protests in Haiticenter_img Follow the news on Haïti HaïtiAmericas Help by sharing this information News HaïtiAmericas Another journalist murdered in Haiti November 14, 2019 Find out more Reporters Without Borders welcomes the arrest of Wensley Boshomme, a gang member also known as “Zachary Occeda” and “Bertold,” who is suspected of participating in the July 2005 murder of Jacques Roche, the head of the arts and culture section of the daily Le Matin.Boshomme was arrested in a joint operation by police and members of the UN Stabilisation Mission in Haiti (Minustah) on 8 October in Port-au-Prince. The police said the available evidence about Roche’s kidnapping and execution-style murder would suffice to establish Boshomme’s participation.Boshomme, who escaped from the national penitentiary on 19 February 2005, is reputed to be a member of a gang that was led by Junior “Yoyo Piman” Acdhély, who was killed in a clash with Minustah peacekeepers last June. The gang was based in the slum neighbourhood of Cité Soleil, where Boshomme was arrested.Roche was abducted as he was driving through the Nazon district of Port-au-Prince on 10 July 2005. Despite negotiations with his family, in which the kidnappers demanded a ransom, his body was found four days later. Two gang members, Alby Joseph and Chéry Beaubrun, received life sentences on 30 August of this year for their part in his abduction and murder. Three other persons being held for “illegal possession of firearms” are also suspected of involvement.—-31.08 – Two men get life for Jacques Roche murder in sign of justice finally moving into actionReporters Without Borders welcomes the life sentences which a Port-au-Prince court yesterday passed on two men, Alby Joseph and Chéry Beaubrun, for the abduction and murder of Jacques Roche, the head of the Le Matin newspaper’s arts and culture pages. Roche was kidnapped on 10 July 2005 and was found dead four days later.Joseph, 22, a gang member based in the Port-au-Prince slum district of Solino, was found guilty of killing Roche. Beaubrun was found guilty of receiving money to guard him while he was held hostage. They were sentenced to forced labour for life under a May 2005 decree.Their conviction came 20 days after an independent commission to support investigations into murders of journalists was created on the initiative of President René Préval and SOS Journalistes, an NGO. The commission was installed in the presence of UN secretary-general Ban Ki-Moon’s spokesperson, Michèle Montas, who is the widow of Jean Dominique, a radio journalists murdered in April 2000. Dominique’s killers have not been caught.“We are relieved that justice has finally been rendered in the Roche case,” Reporters Without Borders said. “This conviction and the creation of the commission on 10 August are positive signs of a desire by the political and judicial authorities to start combatting impunity. The other participants in Roche’s abduction who are still at large must also be brought to trial.”An arts and culture columnist and Creole-language poet, Roche was abducted as he was driving through the Nazon district of Port-au-Prince. Despite intense negotiations with the family, in which the kidnappers demanded a ransom of 250,000 dollars, his handcuffed body was finally found four days later, bearing the marks of torture and bullet wounds.Joseph named three other persons, former Solino gang boss François “Bibi” Daniel, Dérosiers “Tiyabout” Becker and someone identified only as “Gaetan” as accomplices to Roche’s abduction and murder. All three are currently detained for possession of firearms.Gérard Jean Juste, a Catholic priest and close political ally of former President Jean-Bertrand Aristide, was also a suspect. He was arrested on 22 July 2005 but was eventually released for health reasons and was allowed to travel to the United States to receive treatment. He returned to Haiti at the start of this month. Several other suspects were arrested in August 2005 but have not yet been tried. June 11, 2019 Find out morelast_img read more

Read more on Police arrest another gang member suspected in Jacques Roche murder