Woman ‘partially sucked out a window’ dies after engine failure on Southwest flight

first_imgWPVI-TV(NEW YORK) — A woman died after a Southwest Airlines jet suffered engine failure and made an emergency landing on Tuesday, marking the first accidental fatality on a domestic flight in nine years, according to the National Transportation Safety Board.Flight 1380 was en route from New York City’s LaGuardia International Airport to Dallas Love Field when the plane was forced to land at Philadelphia International Airport Tuesday morning.Jennifer Riordan of New Mexico died after she was partially sucked out a window near the engine, according to witnesses. Officials did not immediately confirm that account.“Jennifer Riordan has passed away as a result of previously reported events on Southwest Airlines flight No. 1380,” her family said in a statement. “Jennifer’s vibrancy, passion and love infused our community and reached across our country. Her impact on everything and everyone she touched can never be fully measured.”“But foremost, she is the bedrock of our family. She and Mike wrote a love story unlike any other. Her beauty and love is evident through her children. We are so appreciative of the outpouring of support from family, friends and our community.”Riordan previously worked in marketing at the University of New Mexico’s Health Sciences Center.“Jennifer was an amazing community leader, team member, wife and mother,” Dr. Paul Roth, chancellor for Health Sciences Center, said in a statement. “Her passion for our community, our students and our future was unwavering. We are committed to carrying on her work to ensure quality education and career opportunities to New Mexico’s youth. Our thoughts and prayers remain with her family during this difficult time. She will be forever missed by her Lobo family.” Passenger Matt Tranchin said the flight took a turn when he saw a “huge explosion and glass shattering three rows ahead of me.”“Flight attendants rushed up,” he said. “There was momentary chaos. Everyone kind of descended on where this hole was. As passengers, we weren’t sure if they were trying to cover up the hole, but the plane smelled like smoke. There was ash coming through the ventilation system.”“We started dropping,” Tranchin told ABC station WPVI-TV in Philadelphia. “Some of the crew couldn’t hold back their horror. And some were crying as they looked out through the open window onto the engine.”Passengers posted photos from inside showing descended oxygen masks, a blown-out window and the remains of an engine.Jim Demetros, a passenger who said he was about three rows ahead of where the engine failed, told ABC News that everybody was looking at “the woman who was sitting next to the window that had blown out.”“It was a pretty harrowing experience,” he said, adding that the crew did a “fantastic” job “keeping everyone calm.”  Another passenger, Cassie Adams, said she was sitting “right over the engine” and could see the damage immediately after it failed.A few minutes after the oxygen masks came down, the window two rows behind where Adams was sitting blew out, and the woman was “sucked out,” she told ABC News.“Two brave men immediately responded and helped grab her and tried to pull her back in,” Adams said.The men were able to pull her back in and performed CPR on her, Adams said. One of them then stood in front of the broken window so no one else would get hurt, she said, adding that she thought “the plane was going down.”“It was terrifying,” Adams said. “Those men are heroes.”Another passenger, a woman from Albuquerque, New Mexico, also confirmed that a female passenger was “partially sucked out of the window.”“I talked to the guy who pulled her back in, and he said that her head, when she flew out the window, hit the window and she died on impact,” the woman told ABC affiliate KOAT-TV. “And then there was a nurse who helped to pull her back in, but before we knew what was really going on, you could feel the plane instantly dropping.”Seven people suffered minor injuries and weren’t taken to hospitals, officials said. The NTSB said 144 passengers and five crew members were on board.Southwest Airlines Chief Executive Officer Gary Kelly expressed gratitude that no one else was seriously injured, but described the passenger’s death as a “tragic loss.”“This is a sad day, and our hearts go out to the family and loved ones of the deceased customer,” Kelly said during a press conference Tuesday afternoon.Kelly said he was not aware of any issues with the Boeing 737, which was last inspected on Sunday. No issues with the plane or engine were reported at that time, he said, calling the Boeing 737 the “workhorse of the airline industry.”The engine that failed had gone through 40,000 cycles, Kelly said, adding that it had been 10,000 cycles since it was last overhauled. Engines are typically overhauled after 30,000 cycles, Kelly said.The accident appears to be the first of its kind for the company, Kelly said. “To my knowledge, it’s the first time we have lost a window.”Kelly commended the crew and described the flight’s captain as “very experienced,” adding that he started at the company in 1994 and has been a captain for “well over a decade.”“They did their jobs superbly today,” Kelly added.NTSB Chairman Robert Sumwalt described the emergency as engine failure. The crew reported damage to the main body of the plane, an engine and a window, the Federal Aviation Administration said.Kelly said in a statement that the victim’s family are the company’s “immediate and primary concern, and we will do all that we can to support them during this difficult time and the difficult days ahead.”“I’m immensely grateful there are no other reports of injuries, but truly this is a tragic loss,” Kelly said. “Please join us in offering thoughts and prayers and support to all of those affected by today’s tragedy.”In a statement, Boeing expressed its “deepest condolences” to the victim’s family.The runway was closed for more than two hours before reopening.The NTSB and the FAA still are investigating, and Boeing said it is providing technical help to the investigation, with which Southwest is cooperating.The NTSB has asked witnesses with videos or images to contact the agency directly via email.The last accidental domestic airline fatality was in 2009, when Colgan 3407 crashed near Buffalo, New York, killing all 49 on board and a person on the groundCopyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.last_img read more

Read more on Woman ‘partially sucked out a window’ dies after engine failure on Southwest flight

Man who allegedly killed Maine sheriff’s office corporal captured after four-day manhunt

first_imgiStock/Thinkstock(NORRIDGEWOCK, Maine) — The 29-year-old man accused of gunning down a sheriff’s office corporal in Maine and who evaded authorities for four days has been captured, authorities said on Saturday.John Daniel Williams had been on the run since Wednesday morning when he allegedly shot and killed Cpl. Eugene Cole of the Somerset County Sheriff’s Office in Norridgewock.Williams was apprehended at 12:43 p.m. on Saturday outside a small, remote camp in Norridgewock, officials said. Authorities had found tracks this week that confirmed the area he was in, officials said.Cole’s handcuffs were used in the arrest, authorities said.More than 200 law enforcement officers had been involved in the manhunt.Now that the search is done, officers can begin to grieve Cole’s loss, authorities said, and local residents “can sleep well.”The Cole family is relieved, thankful and grateful, authorities added.Less than an hour before Williams was caught, authorities read a statement from Cole’s widow, pleading with him to surrender.“I urge Mr. Williams to turn himself in or at least reach out to law enforcement,” she said in the statement. “Mr. Williams, be assured you’ll be treated the same way Corporal Cole would have treated you if you had given him the opportunity — with dignity and respect.”“We just want you to talk to someone,” she added. “Please, please talk to us.”After the killing, Williams allegedly stole the corporal’s cruiser, drove to a local convenience store and committed a robbery, authorities said. The cruiser was later found abandoned in Norridgewock.Williams had been considered armed and dangerous.A $20,000 reward was being offered for information leading to his arrest.Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.last_img read more

Read more on Man who allegedly killed Maine sheriff’s office corporal captured after four-day manhunt

Killing of jogger highlights dangerous reality for women

first_imgGeorgetown Running Club(WASHINGTON) — The viral hashtags #MilesforMollie and #dcrunners4wendy are reflecting an all-too-scary reality for women today.Runners in the Washington, D.C., area started #dcrunners4wendy after Wendy Martinez, 35 and newly-engaged, was stabbed to death Tuesday while jogging around 8 p.m. in a busy, well-lit area of the nation’s capital.Mollie Tibbetts, the inspiration behind #MilesforMollie, was found dead on Aug. 21, more than a month after she went missing during an evening jog in Brooklyn, Iowa.The killings of two young women while doing something as innocent as running outdoors have sparked fear and outrage.“It’s the unfortunate reality of being a woman,” said Alex Morris, a 24-year-old runner in Washington, D.C., and member of the Georgetown Running Club, a competitive running club. “You always have to think extra carefully and it’s not even just running.”The deaths of Tibbetts and Martinez came on the heels of two killings last year that also rocked women.Karina Vetrano, 30, was killed while on an evening jog in Queens, New York, in August 2016.Five days later, Vanessa Marcotte, a 27-year-old Google employee who lived in New York City, was killed after she left her mother’s home in Princeton, Massachusetts, for a run in broad daylight, officials said.It’s not just women runners who are in danger. Just this week, a 22-year-old collegiate golf player was killed while she was golfing alone on a course in Ames, Iowa.A conversation that men don’t haveAnd lost among those high-profile, tragic killings are the countless instances the mass public rarely hears about of women who escape attacks, who are cat-called, who are scared, who have to run with pepper spray or alter their routes or skip an activity altogether just because they are trying to exist in this world as a woman on her own.“We have a big group chat and we’re always talking about how people can be safe and that we should be meeting up more often to go on runs because strength in numbers just makes everyone feel safer,” Morris said of her running club. “It’s just a topic of conversation that the men’s team doesn’t have to talk about.”A survey last year by Runner’s World found more than half of women who run said they are concerned that they could be physically assaulted or receive unwanted physical contact during a run.In addition to the fear they face, women also face pressure from society to do something (“Don’t wear headphones!” “Change your route!” “Never run at night!”), as though the behaviors of often-male perpetrators are their fault.“I’ve felt frustrated when the media coverage after these incidents focuses on what women should be doing differently with the subtext that they did something wrong, or that they shouldn’t have been running at that time,” said Kerry Allen, a 30-year-old elite marathoner and Georgetown Running Club member. “At the end of the day, we have to get to a place that every woman feels safe while moving about the city, whether it’s walking, running, biking, anything.”Allen, who also works full-time on Capitol Hill, said she often has to run early in the morning or late at night, a reality of many women who have to squeeze in workouts wherever and whenever they can.“I think the unfortunate answer is you can’t always prevent attacks,” she said. “I love running. I’m going to keep doing that.”A self-defense expert’s advice for womenIt is impossible to prevent every attack, experts say, and women should not feel the pressure to do so.What women can do is empower themselves so they feel stronger and more confident out in the world, says Jennifer Cassetta, a self-defense expert and creator of the Stilettos and Self Defense DVDs.“I’m personally not going to wait around for men to stop raping,” Cassetta told “Good Morning America.” “That’s not going to happen in our lifetime so how can we get ahead of that and be empowered to do what we want to do and live our lives.”“It’s about knowing that you have that power,” she said.Cassetta stays away from the stereotypical advice for women like not running alone and not wearing headphones, she adds.“A man would say that,” she said.Instead, she gives women self-defense advice that doesn’t “punish” them.“For me, teaching is about giving as many choices as possible in these horrible situations,” said Cassetta, who notes that even taking one self-defense class can make a huge difference. “There are so many examples of women fighting back and getting away. It does work. Not all the time, but it can.”Cassetta’s top 3 empowering tips for women1. Know the weapons you have on your body and how to use themRun or walk powerfully with your shoulders back and head up, making eye contact with every person in your path, Cassetta recommends.If you are attacked, dropping down to a squat or a lunge will drop your center of gravity and make you harder to the throw to the ground, according to Cassetta.To fight back, Cassetta says to “acquire and fire.”“The eyes, throat and groin are most effective targets because they are all soft targets where you can do the most amount of damage with the least amount of effort,” she said. “Scratch or gouge the eyes, give a punch to the throat to disrupt breathing and give a punch or a knee or an elbow to the groin.”2. Be aware of your surroundingsWomen should be “alert but calm” when they’re out and about, scanning for red flags and not getting too deep into thought, Cassetta says.“When we’re being alert, our intuition is our inner GPS, it gives us signals and sends us messages,” she said. “If we’re too caught up in our to-do list or what we’re stressed about, we can’t hear it.”When it comes to hearing, Cassetta also says don’t forgo headphones, but do have the volume low enough so that you can hear the sounds around you.Also, let other people know of your surroundings too. Designate a friend or family member as your “safety buddy,” the person you text to let know when and where you are running and when you will return.3. Arm yourselfThe types of “non-lethal weapons” Cassetta recommends women arm themselves with include pepper spray, a personal alarm, and a sharp object worn as a piece of jewelry, what she calls “weapon jewelry.”“They make you that much more aware because you’re holding onto it and aware of it,” she said. “But you need to make sure you know how to use them. If you have pepper spray, make sure you know how to use it and have it accessible.”Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.last_img read more

Read more on Killing of jogger highlights dangerous reality for women

‘Where in the world could this child be?’: Investigators scour park for 6th day in search for little Maddox Ritch

first_imgWSOC(GASTONIA, N.C.) — Thursday marks day six of the desperate search for 6-year-old Maddox Ritch, who mysteriously vanished in broad daylight in a North Carolina park Saturday.As investigators continue to scour the area, former FBI agent Brad Garrett says he is left wondering, “Where in the world could this child be?”“The biggest concern with any child of tender age being gone for days is their ability to survive,” Garrett, now an ABC News contributor, said Thursday. “Is anybody taking care of him? Has somebody harmed him? Or is he alone in the woods someplace?“How do you sort of disappear off the face of the earth at that point if you’re a 6-year-old child?” Maddox, who has autism and does not talk, was at Rankin Lake Park in Gastonia with his father, Ian Ritch, and another adult when he started sprinting roughly 25 to 30 feet ahead of his father, Ritch told reporters.“I feel guilt for letting him get so far ahead of me,” Ritch told reporters.The boy has diabetes and neuropathy in his feet that can make it difficult for him to run, his father said.“As soon as I got to the point where I couldn’t see him anymore, I started panicking,” Ritch said. Ritch notified a park employee, who called 911, and state and federal authorities soon descending on the scene.Investigators have checked dumpsters, scoured the grounds with police dogs, searched the park’s lake using sonar and divers and scanned the area with helicopters and drones.Authorities have also recorded messages from Maddox’s parents and are playing those messages in the woods in the hopes that their voices will persuade him to come out if he’s there. Authorities are pleading with anyone who was at the park that day to come forward, and Garrett said any witness can be key to piecing together the timeline of what happened that day at the park.Garrett also suggested that authorities analyze surveillance video from the park parking lot and nearby intersections.Another concern is foul play.  “It’s certainly logical as time goes on that somebody has grabbed him. That could be a stranger, I suppose that could be somebody that Maddox knows,” Garrett said.Investigators may also check for any sex offenders living in or around Gastonia to see where they were when Maddox disappeared and whether they themselves are now missing, Garrett said. “Maddox is my whole world and my reason for living,” the little boy’s mother, Carrie Ritch, told reporters Tuesday.“If you were at the park Saturday and saw Maddox … please, urgently, please call the tip line,” she said through tears. “I want my baby back in my arms.”Anyone who was at the park Saturday is asked to call 704-869-1075. A $10,000 reward is being offered. “We have spoken to many people who were there but we want to make sure we talk to them all,” Gastonia Police Chief Robert Helton said. “No piece of information is too small. Something you may think is insignificant could be helpful to our case.”Maddox has blond hair and blue eyes, weighs 45 pounds and is 4 feet tall, police said. He was wearing black shorts, closed-toe sandals and an orange T-shirt that reads “I am the Man” at the time he went missing, according to police.Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.last_img read more

Read more on ‘Where in the world could this child be?’: Investigators scour park for 6th day in search for little Maddox Ritch

Holiday nightmare: How to avoid deadly Christmas tree fires

first_imgkajakiki/iStock(NEW YORK) — Christmas trees can be deadly.That’s the urgent advisory from consumer safety experts who warn that it only takes a small ignition source to set a festive home ablaze.A tree without enough water is essentially flammable kindling, fueling what can become a devastating catastrophe.Several people die from tree fires each year, according to newly-released data from the Consumer Product Safety Commission, which looked at rates between 2013 and 2015.Most holiday lights won’t get hot enough to set a tree on fire. But frayed wires and broken bulbs can spark a flame. Outdoor holiday lights have been known to cause shrub fires and should only be purchased from certified manufacturers, the CPSC says.Watering a tree regularly can keep a small fire from spreading. In a demonstration by the CPSC Thursday, a dry tree quickly became engulfed in flames while the watered tree barely caught fire under the same conditions.“Even after Christmas, keep it well watered until you drag it to the curb,” acting CPSC Chairwoman Anne Marie Buerkle told ABC News.In addition to watering, the CPSC offers these tips to help avoid a holiday tragedy:1) Check lights for broken or cracked sockets.2) Don’t put candles on unstable surfaces like couches or pillows.3) Test smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors regularly.4) Keep the tree away from any heat source.Thousands of people injure themselves every year while decorating for the holidays, according to the CPSC.“All of these injuries are preventable,” Buerkle said.Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.last_img read more

Read more on Holiday nightmare: How to avoid deadly Christmas tree fires

50 Years Later: Astronaut Michael Collins on Apollo 11 mission

first_imgvia NASA(NEW YORK) —  Three men went to the moon, but only two walked on the lunar surface.Astronaut Michael Collins, the man who manned the command module during the moonwalk, reflected on the historic Apollo 11 mission as it celebrates its 50th anniversary on Saturday, July 20.“The thing that amazes me about Apollo 11 is everything worked as advertised,” Collins told ABC News’ Senior Transportation Correspondent David Kerley.A vivid image of the moon is still in Collins’ mind to this day.“My God that moon is immense and it’s so three-dimensional,” Collins said. “You have the sunlight illuminating the ring of the surface of the moon…but somehow beyond its size and its gloss it projects a feeling of fragility. It hit me that this is a fragile little tiny thing.”Collins is referred to by some as the loneliest man in the universe. He circled the moon alone for more than a day without witnessing the actual landing. He could occasionally hear audio from fellow Apollo 11 astronauts Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin walking on the moon, but the signal would disappear when the command module went behind the moon. When the signal was down, he could not talk to the crew or be reached by mission control in Houston.“I liked being in the command module by myself,” Collins said. “I had my own way of doing things, I had hot coffee. I took the center seat out and it was almost like being in a little church.”Referring to himself as Armstrong and Aldrin’s “ride home,” he worried about a scenario where they would be stuck on the moon.“They only had one little motor,” Collins said. “That was it. That motor had to work perfectly, if it didn’t and they were stuck on the moon I was going to come home and I would not have been a happy returnee. I’d be a marked man for the rest of my life.”Even though he didn’t walk on the moon, Collins said that he did not feel left out.“They were wonderful crew mates,” Collins said, “each in his own way. Buzz was from a technical background. Neil was not only a highly-experienced test pilot. He knew the whys and wherefores of the design of those spacecrafts. I felt very much an equal partner with them, I felt very much part of the trio.”When it came time to say goodbye to the command module, Collins left a message inside: “the finest ship to come down the line. God bless her.”He scribbled it first with a pencil, then came back and made it darker with a ballpoint pen.“I didn’t really want to say goodbye to Columbia without saying ‘goodbye’,” Collins said. “And that was my way of saying goodbye and thank you. Columbia had been such a wonderful machine and taken care of us.”For the next space venture Collins has his eyes set on Mars.“I think in going to Mars we should go not primarily as Americans, but as human inhabitants of Earth,” Collins said.Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.last_img read more

Read more on 50 Years Later: Astronaut Michael Collins on Apollo 11 mission

New York man charged after telling teen he is in the KKK and spraying him with a hose

first_imgiStock(ROCHESTER, N.Y.) — A New York man was charged with harassment after he told a teenager he was in the KKK and then sprayed the teen down with a hose, police said.Police said the incident stemmed from a dispute in a park near the house of Glen Nicodemus, 59, of Rochester. Steven Clancey, the chief of police with the Rochester Police Department, told ABC News Nicodemus was having trouble with a group of kids who had been allegedly harassing his mother.Nicodemus then spotted the kids he thought were involved and went to the park to take their pictures so he could identify them to police, Clancey said, though he noted he did not know if it was actually the group that was allegedly making fun of Nicodemus’ mother.The group of kids and Nicodemus got in a “dispute” at the park after he began taking pictures of them. Police responded to that incident and spoke to all involved before everyone parted ways without arrests or citations.It was about half an hour after that when some of the kids, including 14-year-old Jaiden Rodriguez, walked by Nicodemus’ home, saw he was outside and began exchanging words again, according to Clancey.In the video of the Aug. 14 incident apparently taken by one of the kids, Nicodemus can be seen grabbing his hose and spraying Rodriguez after telling him he was “a member of the Ku Klux Klan.” Rodriguez makes threats to beat Clancey up, but walks away with friends as he’s being sprayed.Christina Poles, Rodriguez’s mother who later posted the video to Facebook, said her son has received “tremendous support” since the incident, which she thinks has helped him overcome the dispute.“He was very nervous to do a police statement and advocate for himself,” she told ABC News.A man who identified himself as Nicodemus’ father declined to comment when reached by ABC News on the phone.Police said the incident did not rise to the level of a hate crime after checking with the New York State Police Hate Crimes Unit and the Monroe County District Attorney’s Office.Clancey said a judge did issue an order of protection for Rodriguez, but noted that Nicodemus is not a member of the KKK.“[Nicodemus] said some stupid things … but there’s no hate crime here. Just harassment,” Clancey said.Nicodemus was arraigned by police on Wednesday. He has since been released and will report to pre-trial release under supervision.Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.last_img read more

Read more on New York man charged after telling teen he is in the KKK and spraying him with a hose

‘I like killing people’: Man accused of killing 3 allegedly said he ‘wants to be a serial killer’

first_imgPolk County Sheriffs Office(POLK COUNTY, Fla.) — A man accused of slaying three people across two states allegedly told a victim who survived he wanted to be a serial killer.“I like killing people,” Stanley Mossburg alleged told the victim, according to authorities.Mossburg, 35, was arrested Tuesday and charged with killing two people in Winter Haven, Fla., and one person in Greeneville, Tenn.He allegedly told a surviving victim that the “two victims in Winter Haven were (numbers) seven and eight but his goal was to kill 11,” Sheriff Grady Judd, the sheriff in Polk County, Fla., said at a news conference on Tuesday.“We have not found two through six nor do we know if they exist at all,” Judd said.In Florida, Mossburg faces charges including two counts of first-degree murder, three counts of attempted murder of a law enforcement officer and two counts armed burglary with assault.He has also been charged with first-degree murder in Tennessee.Mossburg is due to make his first court appearance in Florida on Wednesday afternoon. It was not immediately clear if he was represented by a lawyer.On Monday night, authorities zeroed in on a home where they believed Mossburg was hiding, authorities said. All night SWAT teams tried to get Mossburg to surrender, but he allegedly fired at the deputies, authorities said.Early Tuesday, deputies went into the garage and found Mossburg hiding and took him into custody, authorities said.It was the Winter Haven crimes that led to the alleged killer’s capture, Judd said.A Winter Haven man called 911 on Monday about 6 p.m. and said someone had killed his two roommates and held him captive for more than 12 hours, according to the sheriff’s office.The victim said when he got home from work Sunday night, his female roommate was tied up and alive, and his male roommate was already slain inside the home, according to the sheriff’s office.The victim said he was tied up as the suspect, identified as Mossburg, stayed in the home all night, filling up bags with the victims’ items, authorities said.During the night, Mossburg allegedly “slashed and murdered” the female victim and told the surviving victim he “did it quick” because “she was cooperative,” Judd said.Mossburg allegedly poured bleach on the victims and started cleaning the home, Judd said.Mossburg at one point allegedly told the surviving victim he “wants to be a serial killer.”“I like killing people,” he allegedly said, calling the Winter Haven victims numbers “seven and eight,” Judd said.After noon on Monday, Mossburg left the home and allegedly told the surviving victim he’d “be back for the bodies,” and warned the victim not to call police or he’d kill him, Judd said.About six hours later, the victim ran to a neighbor’s house and called 911, Judd said.Earlier this month, Mossburg allegedly attacked and killed a man at a laundromat in Tennessee before fleeing to his native South Carolina, Judd said.Copyright © 2019, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.last_img read more

Read more on ‘I like killing people’: Man accused of killing 3 allegedly said he ‘wants to be a serial killer’

Tour helicopter with 7 people aboard missing in Hawaii: US Coast Guard

first_imgiStock(HONOLULU) — Authorities in Hawaii are searching for a tour helicopter carrying seven people that hasn’t been heard from in more than 12 hours, according to the U.S. Coast Guard.The chopper, which had six passengers, including two children, and the pilot aboard, was off Nā Pali Coast and scheduled to return Thursday at 5:21 p.m., according to the Coast Guard. It did not report back to the base, however.The owner of the helicopter contacted the Joint Rescue Coordination Center in Honolulu, which coordinated crews to search the scene, according to a press released issued early Friday morning by the U.S. Coast Guard’s 14th District Hawaii and the Pacific.The helicopter is equipped with an electronic locator, but officials said that no signals has been received. Nearly 80 percent of Kauai is uninhabited, and much of that is a state park that most helicopter tours include as a point of interest.Officials said weather conditions in the area may factor into the search, but trained crews are on the scene searching for any signs of the helicopter and the seven aboard, said Petty Officer 1st Class Robert Cox, Coast Guard Joint Rescue Command Center Honolulu.There is reportedly 4 miles of visibility in the area because of clouds and rain. Winds are at 28 mph and Friday’s forecast predicts that the winds will diminish slightly with wind waves at 6 feet and scattered rain showers.The company that conducted the tour was not identified by officials.Copyright © 2019, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.last_img read more

Read more on Tour helicopter with 7 people aboard missing in Hawaii: US Coast Guard

Stepmom arrested in case of missing Colorado boy Gannon Stauch: Sources

first_imgkali9/iStock(EL PASO COUNTY, Colo.) — The stepmother of a missing 11-year-old Colorado boy was arrested Monday morning, multiple sources told ABC News.Gannon Stauch was last seen on Jan. 27, the same day his stepmother, Leticia Stauch, reported him missing. She told authorities he was last seen at home between 3:15 p.m. and 4:15 p.m. before leaving to walk to a friend’s house, according to the El Paso County Sheriff’s Office.Leticia Stauch was taken into custody Monday in South Carolina, according to sources who spoke on the condition of anonymity because the arrest had not been publicly announced.Officials have not yet outlined the specific charges Leticia Stauch is facing. A spokeswoman for the El Paso County Sheriff’s Office could not be reached Monday morning.Leticia Stauch denied having anything to do with her stepson’s disappearance in an interview last month with KKTV, a CBS affiliate in Colorado Springs.“I would never, ever, ever hurt this child,” she told the station.Efforts to reach Leticia Stauch or her attorney on Monday were unsuccessful.Gannon Stauch was initially reported as a runaway, but on Jan. 30 his disappearance was changed to a missing/endangered persons case.A neighbor said footage captured by his security camera the day Gannon Stauch went missing showed Leticia Stauch driving away with the boy in the morning, and returning hours later alone. Authorities have said they are aware of the footage and have not disputed the neighbor’s description, but have described it only as “one piece in a very, very, very large puzzle.”The El Paso County Sheriff’s Office said they’ve received more than 800 tips and put thousands of hours into search efforts that included drones and search dogs.Copyright © 2020, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.last_img read more

Read more on Stepmom arrested in case of missing Colorado boy Gannon Stauch: Sources