a man and a 14-year-old appeared before Chief Magistrate Ann McLennan at the Georgetown Magistrates’ Courts to answer to a charge of simple larceny.Roberto Higgins and the teen pleaded not guilty to the charge which stated that on September 3, 2016, they stole one All-Terrain Vehicle (ATV) valued $3.2 million, property of Edna Dejesus De Santos.The unrepresented defendants were placed on $50,000 bail each. They will make their next court appearance on November 2, 2016.
Today, May 29, is the deadline for LRA Commissioner General Elfreda Stewart-Tamba (right) to make a report in compliance with the 72-hour ultimatum issued by President Weah (left) to reduce import tariffs on consumer goods.Lacks Legislative ApprovalPresident George M. Weah’s decision to give a 72-hour ultimatum to the Liberia Revenue Authority (LRA) to ensure that tariffs on basic commodities are reduced, including the ECOWAS Common External Tariff (CET), has been considered “unilateral” and without the involvement of the Legislature.Today, May 29, is the deadline for LRA Commissioner General Elfreda Stewart-Tamba to make a report in compliance with the 72-hour ultimatum. The LRA is expected to present a new schedule, to ensure immediate tariff reduction on a wide range of basic commodities and other consumables imported into the country.“The president has observed that the current tariff regime, including the ECOWAS Common External Tariff (CET), is causing a serious hike in the cost of basic commodities in the country, thus adversely affecting the Liberian people, especially the poor. The president deems this as unacceptable and further expressed that it contravenes the premise of the pro-poor agenda,” noted a statement from the office of the presidential press secretary last week.The president’s decision has triggered a bipartisan response from members of the 54th Legislature, with Nimba County District # 8 Representative Larry Younquoi arguing that the 1986 Constitution gives the authority to the Legislature, to review and approve treaties and financial instruments, including tariffs.The House Chairman on the Committee on Good Governance & Government Reform, Rep. Larry Younquoi, told the Daily Observer in an exclusive interview that the ECOWAS CET Tariff was adopted by Liberia as part of the Protocol or Treaty as member of ECOWAS.Representative Younquoi said the House of Representatives and the Liberian Senate approved the ECOWAS CET Tariff, attested by former President Ellen Johnson-Sirleaf and in accordance with the Constitution; therefore the reduction of the ECOWAS CET Tariff must be done by the Legislature.“Besides the adoption of International Treaties or Protocols, the Legislature also has the authority to approve tariffs or taxes as well as sanction the printing of money,” Representative Younquoi said. However, he said even if it’s an “Executive Order,” it will last only for a “year.”Meanwhile, the CET was introduced to the Legislature in 2016 by former President Ellen Johnson-Sirleaf, with calls for its adoption.The introduction of the CET enabled Liberia to join other ECOWAS countries in establishing a common customs union, making trade and commerce easier within the ECOWAS sub-region.According to ECOWAS, in any situation where a group of countries decides to form a customs union as part of the goal to achieve economic integration, they must establish a common external tariff, which would set the same customs duties, import quotas, preferences or other non- tariff barriers to trade applicable to all goods entering the territory of the group, regardless of which country within the group they are entering. It was for this purpose that the 15 Member States of the Economic Community of the West African States on 25th October 2013, adopted the ECOWAS Common External Tariff (CET).The CET would guarantee predictability and stability in trade: importers would be able to make long-term plans with the confidence that the tariff would remain the same. Policies affecting import tariffs can no longer be changed arbitrarily.As a result of the predictability and stability in trade, more foreign direct investments would be attracted.Increased turnover resulting from an enlarged domestic market: the whole region would become a single market for imported products.Increase in economies of scale resulting in the enlargement of domestic industries.Increased production and productivity: with an expanded market to satisfy, production and productivity would increase.Discourage smuggling: to certain extent, smuggling is encouraged by the disparity in tariffs. The application of common tariffs across the region would remove the incentive to smuggle products into countries that previously had high tariffs for those products.However, economic observers say while the president’s move may be embraced by the masses, there is the need for careful consideration before pulling out of the CET regime, bearing in mind that it is a regional tax regime.Also, as the FY2018/19 draft national budget is already before the legislature, reduction of tariffs would adversely impact the national revenue envelope and another major budget shortfall should be anticipated.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
…Region 2 to launch probeA mother is now seeking answers after her daughter succumbed at the Suddie Public Hospital earlier this month under mysterious circumstances.Speaking with Guyana Times on Thursday, the child’s mother, Devina Persaud, related that her four-year-old daughter, Valentina Amara Persaud, was taken to theThe child’s blackened bodySuddie Public Hospital at around 04:30h on January 10, because she was having a seizure. Persaud explained that this was an on and off occurrence with her daughter.“When we reached the hospital we couldn’t find anybody, no nurse, no doctor anything. We had to search the hospital to find somebody”, Persaud stated. Upon locating a nurse, the child was admitted and given a valium injection to which she responded well. “She sleep and eat and play, she was okay,” Persaud continued to explain.The hospital visit allegedly became fatal when Persaud was informed that little Valentina would need another injection.“And then the nurse came and said that she had to get another injection and she gave her the injection and she cry and she breath just cut.” After this occurred, the doctor on duty was reportedly passing and witnessed what had transpired. “The nurse asked the doctor would you be on shift this afternoon and she said yes and the nurse said alright come let me tell you this thing,” the grieving mother said.The duo then left the room and failed to explain to the child’s mother what had happened. The child’s body was transferred to the Georgetown Public Hospital for a post-mortem to be conducted.“They didn’t allow anybody to go in and witness and like nobody explain what happen or anything,” Persaud said. The child’s mother also told Guyana Times that her uncle had spoken with the doctor who informed him that the child’s heart and kidney had burst. She also had bruises on her mouth and her body also appeared “black, black” at the time of the post-mortem.Meanwhile, Region Two Chairman Devanand Ramdatt, expressed his disappointment over how the matter was handled. “As Chairman I will be asking for an investigation to be conducted because this child should not have lost her life at a health care institution,” Ramdatt stated.A report was made to the Anna Regina Police Station and the family of the deceased child is still awaiting progress on the investigation.
Photo: The NPSS Girls won over PG and are now off to Provincials – SubmittedThe Ooks played the final gold medal match against Prince George Senior Secondary winning both sets 28/26 & 25/19 and now advance to provincials in Kelowna at the end of the month. Dana Cranston was named MVP, Alannah Stewart was named to the all-star team, Lauren Surniak was named most defensive player. The North Peace Senior Secondary Boys Volleyball team end there season with an awesome 4th place finish at zones with Shane Wiebe named to the all-star team. – Advertisement –
Wilfried Bony and Yaya Toure in action for Manchester City Wilfried Bony has revealed Kolo and Yaya Toure urged him to join Manchester City.The striker joined the Premier League champions during the January transfer window, arriving from Swansea City for £28m.And the 26-year-old has now revealed that his fellow Ivory Coast team-mates convinced him to make the switch to the Etihad.“I spoke a lot with Kolo and Yaya a lot because it was a massive move for me,” Bony told City’s official website.“Kolo told me great things about his time at City, but mainly it was Yaya who was always talking to me and encouraging me to work hard and improve my game.“More than anyone, Yaya told me that City was one of the greatest clubs in the world and said that if I had the opportunity to come here that I should take it with both hands – so I did.” 1
Serie A new boys Crotone have launched an ambitious move for Liverpool flop Mario Balotelli, according to the promoted club’s president.The Italian striker is back at Anfield following last season’s miserable loan spell at AC Milan where he managed just one goal in 20 league outings.As a result, the 25-year-old, who has scored just one Premier League goal for Liverpool since his £16m move in 2014, missed out on a place in Italy’s Euro 2016 squad.He has two years left on his Anfield contract but does not appear to fit into Jurgen Klopp’s plans and is expected to leave this summer.As talkSPORT told you this week, Sampdoria are hoping to lure Balotelli back to Serie A but now they will face competition from another Italian club.Crotone, who were promoted to the top flight having come second in Serie B, want Balotelli to spearhead their first ever season at Italy’s top table.Speaking to Gazza Mercato, club president Raffaele Vrenna said: “I’ve got to admit that I have called his agent Mino Raiola to talk about Balotelli.“Crotone has the ideal surroundings for a young talented player to grow and show himself off.“We could be the right place to relaunch an incredible talent like Balotelli, who has unfortunately had a couple of seasons which were not particularly inspiring.” 1 Mario Balotelli is back at Anfield…but for how long?
SANTA FE SPRINGS – The city is giving officials in sister city Navojoa, Mexico, a boost – literally. Officials in the Department of Public Works say they will donate an aerial lift vehicle to Santa Fe Springs’ sister city of Navojoa, Mexico. The 1978 International Versalift truck, which has a boom and bucket system, will help maintenance crews in Mexico complete tasks such as repairing street lights, installing traffic signs and trimming trees, local officials said. “They don’t have many of these kinds of vehicles, so it will add to their ability to serve the community,” said City Manager Fred Latham. It also has an odometer reading of 65,000 miles, he added. Officials estimated the truck’s current value at $5,000. Santa Fe Springs purchased the vehicle in 1980 for $20,000, according to Mapen. Santa Fe Springs officials are expected to deliver the Versalift truck to Navojoa officials within the next six months. The city has been involved in the Sister Cities International program for the past 20 years, Latham said. firstname.lastname@example.org (562) 698-0955, Ext. 3024160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORE11 theater productions to see in Southern California this week, Dec. 27-Jan. 2The city’s public works division plans to replace the 1978 service vehicle with a newer model later this year. So presenting the Versalift truck to officials in Navojoa comes at a perfect time, Latham said. Despite its age, the Versalift truck is in good working condition. It should “continue to function for years to come,” said Rick Mapen, fleet operation superintendent. At its full height, the aerial lift truck can hoist a person up to 35 feet above ground, Mapen said. It also offers room for storage and additional equipment. Maintaining the Versalift’s operations in Mexico should not be too complicated, Mapen said. The Versalift features a standard transmission system, hydraulic brakes and a gasoline-powered engine. “A mechanic can repair it. It doesn’t have to be a specialist,” he said.
The guys at Donegal Signs have done it again.We reckon Mayo and Aidan O’Shea won’t know what hit them when they come between a Neil Gallagher and Eamon McGee sandwich!‘LETTUCE PRAY’ FOR MAYO – THEY’LL NEED IT! was last modified: August 5th, 2015 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)
DDTV: WE may be having some dry and sunny weather, but we won’t forget the winter just gone in a hurry.Photographer Noel Keating spent it filming – and here is his timelapse video filmed in Donegal during the bad weather of December, January and February.Says Noel: “Although some clips don’t look that stormy I can assure you it was while filming was in progress. The video is mostly made up of photographs and a few HD video clips.”The great music is by God Is An Astronaut… Click play to watch DDTV: INCREDIBLE TIMELAPSE VIDEO OF THE WINTER WE JUST HAD! was last modified: March 10th, 2014 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:donegalNoel Keatingphotographertimelapsevideoweather
The resulting violence sparked intense debate over France’s failure to integrate minorities and forced the government to confront problems of racism and poverty. That debate grew more strident after Labor Minister Gerard Larcher was quoted in Wednesday’s Financial Times as saying that youths from large polygamous families often had social behavioral problems, stemming from lack of a father figure. At the same time, Interior Minister Nicolas Sarkozy was quoted in the current issue of newsweekly L’Express as saying that polygamy is one of the cultural differences that “makes it more difficult to integrate a French youth of African origin with a French youth of another origin.” And Conservative lawmaker Bernard Accoyer told RTL radio that polygamy was “certainly one of the causes” of the problems of integrating Muslim families into French society. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! PARIS – French streets were relatively peaceful overnight after three weeks of unrest, police said Thursday. But protest has erupted amid suggestions that polygamy played a role in the violence. Human rights groups are reacting with outrage to comments by French officials who have said polygamy is one of the reasons youths from underprivileged Muslim households have been rioting. France’s League of Human Rights called the comments “sickening and irresponsible,” while the anti-racist group MRAP said that such remarks would only feed the “racism and exclusion” that incited youths to riot. Over the past three weeks, the rioting spurred by widespread allegations of racism and discrimination spread to nearly 300 towns and cities and involved violent exchanges of stones and tear gas between youths and police. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREWalnut’s Malik Khouzam voted Southern California Boys Athlete of the Week Almost 3,000 youths – many of them French-born children of North and West African immigrants – have been arrested. At the peak, 1,408 vehicles were burned in a single night. But police said the number of vehicles set ablaze late Wednesday and early Thursday fell to just 98, the lowest tally yet. Vandals have also hurled gasoline bombs at buildings, destroying or damaging hundreds of shops, government offices, schools, and even mosques and a church. Muslim leaders in France have condemned the attacks against houses of worship, and said the violence against mosques showed that Muslims were not the only ones behind the attacks. Dalil Boubakeur, the director of the Great Mosque of Paris and one of the country’s leading Muslim figures, said in a statement Tuesday that it was too easy to make Muslims “the scapegoat” of France’s riots, and that he detected a “troubling Islamophobia.” The unrest broke out on Oct. 27 in a housing project outside Paris after two teenagers were accidentally electrocuted while hiding from police in a power substation. It quickly spread through poor minority communities across France, fed by anger over often shoddy housing, lack of employment and poor education.