Over 28K ‘lockdown’ babies expected in WV this year

first_imgHe added that since March, health centers saw a 50-percent drop in people using their services, mostly due to lack of public transport, limited clinical staff and reduced clinic hours. Harold Alfred Marshall, director of the Commission on Population (POPCOM) Region 6, said that over 28,000 babies are expected to be born by December this year in the region or nine months after the beginning of community quarantine.  The national lockdown started on March 16. This estimate, according to Marshall, was based on the 2010 to 2015 census of the Philippine Statistics Authority. He noted that the regular number of births in Western Visayas was 14,408 in a two-month period, citing the census. These commodities include pills, injectables, intrauterine device, and progestin subdermal implants. He said the quarantines imposed in various provinces and cities made it harder for married women of reproductive age to go to health centers where contraceptives are available. “We are looking twice the risk at 28,860 births pero these are just projections. We will see additional births kon tanan nga married couples nga na-lockdown will have unprotected sex,” Marshall said. ILOILO City – The coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) pandemic will not just cause deaths in Western Visayas but will also lead to the birth of more babies.center_img “Amo ina ang estimated birth rate nga wala lockdown, ano pa gid ayhan kon may ara,” Marshall pointed out. Last March – when lockdown measures were still relatively new – POPCOM-6 urged couples to avail themselves family planning commodities at their health centers may it be a temporary, permanent, or natural modern scientific method. Apart from impeded family planning services, POPCOM-6, according to Marshall, is also looking into adolescent pregnancies and incest as contributing factors in the projected spike in the region’s population. “Possible ang family planning programs kon wala nag-untat, basi naghina kay nahadlok ang aton health providers mag-provide family planning kay may direct face-to-face contact. Ang iban nga health providers ginlain ang ila assignment; imbes nga mag-distribute sang family planning commodities, nag-distribute sang relief packs,” Marshall said. The pandemic also disrupted family planning services offered by local government units (LGUs).   Marshall, once again, appealed to couples in the region: “Indi gid kita mag-untat demand sang serbisyo particular sang family planning sa aton local government kay inyo ini sia deretso.”  He also urged LGUs to remain committed to their advocacy in ensuring uninterrupted rollout and access of reproductive rights, particularly on family planning services, despite the ongoing health crisis. “Kinahanglan padayun ang paghatag sang serbisyo sa family planning sa mga kababainhan kag kalalakinhan nga nagapangita sang sining serbisyo,” Marshall said./PNlast_img read more

Read more on Over 28K ‘lockdown’ babies expected in WV this year

Tennis News Epic Djokovic stuns Nadal to reach Wimbledon final

first_imgLondon: Novak Djokovic reached his fifth Wimbledon final on Saturday with a 6-4, 3-6, 7-6 (11/9), 3-6, 10-8 victory over Rafael Nadal in the second longest semi-final ever played at the tournament.Djokovic, the 2011, 2014 and 2015 champion, will face Kevin Anderson, the first South African in the final in 97 years, for the title after a 5-hour 15-minute marathon.Victory on Sunday for the 31-year-old Serb would take his career Slam tally to 13, four behind Nadal but still seven back from Roger Federer.It was a second day of epic drama at the All England Club after Anderson had needed 6 hours and 36 minutes to beat John Isner on Friday.That set the record for the longest semi-final at the tournament and became the second longest Grand Slam singles match ever played.It also meant that Djokovic and Nadal had been unable to finish their 52nd career clash on Friday night.The Saturday drama delayed the start of the women’s final between Serena Williams and Angelique Kerber.“It’s hard to pick the words. I’m just going through things, flashbacks to the last 15 months, everything I’ve been through to get here,” said world number 21 Djokovic, the lowest ranked finalist in 15 years.“To win against the best player in the world, in one of the longest matches I ever played, I’m just overwhelmed.“It’s very special. It really could have gone either way. It was clear very few things separated us.” Djokovic finished with 23 aces and 73 winners and triumphed despite only converting four of 19 break points.“Until the last shot I didn’t know if I would win. These are matches you live for and work for,” he added.Friday curfew Former world number one Djokovic will take a 5-1 career lead over eight-seed Anderson into the final.The South African won his only match against the Serb in 2008 while Djokovic has beaten him twice at Wimbledon.“Hopefully we can first of all play!” an exhausted Djokovic said of his fellow marathon man.Anderson, who knocked out Federer in the quarter-finals, has been on court for 21 hours at the tournament.“He had a day off which means a lot. I wish I could have one, but it is what it is,” Djokovic said.“I’m in the final of Wimbledon. That’s an incredible achievement.” Djokovic had been in control on Friday, leading two sets to one when the match was halted due the 11pm (2200GMT) curfew.Play in their 52nd career meeting resumed under the roof on Saturday despite bright blue skies and temperatures pushing 30 degrees.Djokovic, the 12th seed, could not convert two break points in a 15-minute opening game of the fourth set.In front of the watching Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge, and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, Nadal made him pay.The sweat-soaked two-time champion held, broke and held again for 3-0.However, back roared Djokovic with a break and was soon back on level terms at 3-3.In a roller-coaster of a set, Nadal broke for 5-3 causing Djokovic to angrily smash his racquet into his feet four times.He was even angrier minutes later when he squandered three more break points to allow Nadal to level the semi-final with an ace.Djokovic wasted another three break points in the eighth game of the decider.Nadal then squandered three break points in the 15th game before saving a match point in the 16th with a pitch-perfect drop shot.However, the pressure of serving second was relentless and Djokovic wrapped up victory in the 18th game when Nadal speared a forehand wide.  For all the Latest Sports News News, Tennis News News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps.last_img read more

Read more on Tennis News Epic Djokovic stuns Nadal to reach Wimbledon final

USC Athletic Director Pat Haden hospitalized after collapsing

first_imgUSC athletic director Pat Haden suffered another health scare Wednesday when he collapsed on campus – Carlo Acenas | Daily TrojanUSC Athletic Director Pat Haden collapsed Wednesday morning outside Heritage Hall and was taken away in an ambulance to receive medical attention off campus, according to a statement from USC Athletics.Haden was walking back from a meeting on campus when he felt lightheaded and sat down outside Heritage Hall, at which time the athletic department’s medical staff tended to him.Haden was able to walk to his office in Heritage Hall under his own power and was alert and talking during the entire process. He was then transported to his doctor off campus.In an updated statement Wednesday evening, the Athletics department said that Haden was at a local hospital, “resting comfortably” and in stable condition.“He plans to be back soon watching his Trojans in action,” the statement read. “He thanks all for their concern.” In a tweet, Haden reassured fans and thanked USC director of athletic medicine and head athletic trainer Russ Romano. “Thanks for all the good wishes,” Haden said. “[Thanks] to Russ Romano and the USC docs! Hope to [be] home soon. Fight On!!”The Los Angeles Times reports that Haden will undergo a medical procedure “in the next few days.” According to the statement, the incident was very similar to the one Haden experienced at the Notre Dame football game in October. While observing warm-ups, Haden reported feeling lightheaded and went down onto one knee. After a period of brief hospitalization, Haden was allowed to fly home.The 63-year-old Haden has served as athletic director since 2010, but announced last week that he would retire from the post at the end of June. He will remain at the school until 2017 to guide the renovation of the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum.  Haden’s tenure at USC has had its highs and lows, with the football program going through multiple coaching changes, most recently the Steve Sarkisian controversy that saw Haden fire the embattled ex-coach after Sarkisian’s noted issues with alcoholism. Haden also infamously terminated Lane Kiffin in 2013 and was fined $25,000 after a game in 2014 when he went down to the sideline and argued with the officials. Haden, who has a pacemaker, has been dealing with health concerns in recent months. Following the scare at Notre Dame, he resigned from the College Football Playoff selection committee because of the travel load and did not attend seven of USC’s final eight football games. “I haven’t been 100 percent, but I feel perfectly fine now,’’ Haden said to 710-AM radio last Friday regarding his health. “I could have done this for a lot more years. I just turned 63. My father died at a young age but I’m hoping to live a long, healthy life from here and spend time with my seven grandsons.”This post was updated at 6:19 P.M.last_img read more

Read more on USC Athletic Director Pat Haden hospitalized after collapsing